It’s Not My Story to Tell

teens and depression
With the teen’s permission, I am finally able and ready to share the very long story of my silent struggle in parenting our firstborn. I haven’t been able to share this part of my life because most of it is not my story to tell, but in her newfound efforts at honesty and authenticity, she has asked me to put it out there. So, here we go…

Our teen has suffered from depression and anxiety for several years. She has chosen a variety of unsafe outlets during that time, including eating disorders, unhealthy relationships, and self-harm. After years of unsuccessful treatment, she landed at the crisis center both last November and again this March. At that time, Spencer and I made the difficult decision of admitting her to a residential facility. She has been living at a behavioral center for the last four months, working through self-esteem issues, crippling anxiety, and appropriate relationship boundaries.

She was discharged last night, and while we are thrilled to have her home, we are still quite nervous about our relationship, her future, and the ability to keep her safe and healthy.

It’s going to be a long road, but helping our kids grow into responsible adults is the most important thing we’ll ever do. We’re on a deadline with this one, and it’s going to take our whole village to get it right.

Article by justheather

Heather Sokol is the married mother of many amazing, active children through birth, adoption, and foster care. They have created in her a Sports Mom, Scout Mom, Band Mom, Dance Mom, Allergy Mom & avid coupon clipper. Is that miscellaneous enough for you? She shares her deals & tips at Inexpensively.com and reports progress on learning to be a grownup at JustHeather.com. justheather tagged this post with: , , , , , Read 93 articles by
9 Comments Post a Comment
  1. Cherie says:

Cheering you all on & praying for a movement toward wholeness of body, mind, soul, and relationship. <3

2. Kirsten Shaw says:

We haven’t done in-patient yet, but we’ve run the spectrum of meds, counselors, schooling, diet, etc for anxiety and depression with our teenage offspring. Hugs to you and yours.

3. Bee says:

This is such a brave moment that your daughter is allowing you to share. I wish I had gotten more help as a teen. I waited til my early twenties to really get help. I self harmed for more than 10 years before quitting for good. I had several short term stays in psych hospitals
    I am proud of your daughter and that you as parents were able to make a tough choice that was so beneficial to your teen.

4. Sara F. Hawkins says:

Hugs to you, my friend. I have great hope that it will all be good for your daughter. The biggest gift you’ve given her is love and a belief in her and her need for care beyond what you can provide. If she had cancer it would be negligence not to get her medical care. And the whole world would have been offering prayers. But with mental health seeking professional help is somehow seen as weak and you suffer in silence. Bravo to you and Spencer for getting Stacia the help she needs and deserves. And my best wishes for Stacia to continue her hard work at healing.

This had to be very difficult for you, but always know you did the right thing. Because the consequences of not doing these are too much to bear.

Hugs and blessings!

5. Angie S. says:

She’s an awesome kid that comes from an awesome family. There’s lots of love and good thoughts surrounding you guys as you travel this road.

6. Anna says:

I can only imagine how difficult this has been for your family. Thanks for sharing. I know that you are a great mom with a huge heart. She’ll always know how much she is loved. I hope that this journey continues to help her find her way through the darkness.

7. Crystal says:

Sending all my love and prayers your way. I can’t even begin to understand all you are going through right now, but I know you are a great mom who will do all you can for your precious girl.

8. […] Indy Geek Girls Blog Workshops It’s Not My Story to Tell […]